Edwina Fleming has a Bachelor or Architecture and a Bachelor of Social Science (Nursing) from the University of Natal as well as a Diploma in Community Health from Natal Technikon. She is also member of SACAP, SAIA and SANC.
Edwina has significant experience in the management of health projects and Health Facility Planning and Design. After practising as an architect in the private sector she joined the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Public Works as a project leader where she managed and coordinated a large variety of Education and Health projects. She then moved to the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health where she progressed from project manager to manager of the hospital revitalization programme. As a senior researcher with the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) she participated in the development of Norms and Standards for Health Facilities in South Africa, known as the IUSS project, writing a number of the guideline documents which were gazetted. She is currently part of the task team developing Norms & Standards for Namibia. Prior to architecture, Edwina worked as both a professional nurse and a community health nurse.
Currently she is a Facility Health Planner with Sakhiwo Health Solutions involved in strategic planning for:
• The four academic hospital projects identified by National Department of Health in South Africa (ministerial projects);
• The Eastern Cape Department of Health clinics and hospitals maintenance programme;
• Brief documentation for a number of hospitals and clinics;
• Upgrade of the Hillbrow District Hospital;
• The new Daveyton Hospital;
• The Edenvale Hospital upgrade and new emergency department, wards and theatres;
• Projects in Namibia;
• The new Siloam Hospital;
Previously, Edwina has presented at numerous conferences both nationally and internationally and has lectured in courses on health facility planning.