Dear Participants of the “5th Annual Africa Hospital Expansion Summit”
I would like to express my gratitude for your participation in “5th Annual Africa Hospital Expansion Summit”. It was a great pleasure meeting you at the conference, and seeing the vibrant interactions that took place on site. We were honored to host parties flying in from around the world.
During the two day conference, 25 eminent speakers shared their expertise and viewpoints across a variety of themes. Topics ranged from the economic impact of UHC to clinical pathways, from costing models to practical architecture, from the need of sharing and utilizing data to quality measurement tools, from purpose built concepts to planning equipment integration in early design stage. But discussions and speeches also touched on financing mechanisms combined with technology guidance, on PPPs and their outcomes, on the threat of AMR, on staffing challenges and training, on investments in in-vitro diagnostics, on new public and/or private project developments and their objectives … Topics allowed to discuss in-depth pressing sector challenges such as guaranteeing quality, tackling the need of equity, creating sustainability in Africa`s healthcare delivery and hospitals.
Voices repeatedly indicated that the continent is on the right track, with certain countries even on the forefront in specific achievements. The gathering made clear that enormous works have been done, but also that there is still urgent need for mindset changes whether in terms of budget allocation, UHC, hospital management or local manufacturing.
To be brief the event is asking for a next edition! But in the meantime I first of all must thank all great contributors to this 2017 edition.
I would like to start expressing my gratitude by thanking Hon. Prof. Yifru Berha, Minister at Ministry of Health, Ethiopia for supporting this event, I would also extend my sincere thanks to Dr. Anuschka Coovadia, Head of Healthcare at KPMG and Zelealem Fesseha, President of EPHFEA for chairing this conference. Moreover, my deepest thanks and appreciations to the speakers for their tireless contributions, exclusive knowledge, expert insight, and unique presentations:
• Dr. Anuschka Coovadia, Head of Healthcare, KPMG
• Dr. Daniel Gebre-Michael Burssa, Chief of Staff, State Minister`s Office, Federal Ministry of Health, Ethiopia
• Kaku Caroline Mulalelo, Director Physical Infrastructure and Technology, Ministry of Health Zambia
• Dr. Daniel Shibru, Corporate Secretary & Board Member, Ethio-American Doctors Group
• Edwina Fleming, Senior Health Planner, Sakhiwo Health Solutions
• Jiří Plecitý, Managing Director, Linet MEA
• Amit Sadana, General Manager, Africa, Middle East & South Asia, QuintilesIMS
• Prof. Revathi Gunturu, Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Aga Khan University Hospital
• Simon Carpenter, Chief Technology Advisor, SAP Africa
• Salim Hasham, Executive Chairman, Mediheal Group of Hospitals
• Dr. Joseph Okware, Commissioner Quality Assurance & Inspection, Ministry Of Health, Uganda
• Andrew van de Water, Hospital Integration and Planning Solutions Lead, Philips Africa
• Dr. Mohamed M. El Teriaky, Consultant Minister`s Technical Office, Ministry of Health and Population, Egypt
• Moneesh Arora, Corporate Medical Director, Sphera Global
• Dr. Gilbert Buckle, CEO at Integrated Healthcare Solutions | Interim Chairperson of Ghana Healthcare Federation
• Dr. Anurag Shah, Chairman & Co-Founder, UMC Hospitals, UniHealth Group
• Julian Hutz, Executive Director, Europe, Hutz Medical
• Marashet Girma, General Manager, Pyramid Pharma
• Ntulela Alica Khiba, Hospital Administrator, Tebellong Lecsa Hospital Lesotho
• Gizachew Taddesse Akalu, Executive Director, Ethiopian Medical Laboratory Association (EMLA)
Their presentations spoke to the heart of the main issues facing the industry and their eagerness to build the industry is commendable.
Furthermore, I want to extend my gratitude to our other moderators & panelists for their insights.
• Audrey Obara, Investment Manager, Swedfund
• Kennedy Okong`o Okong`o, Manager, Medical Credit Fund, East Africa
• Alice Bett, Proprietor | Director, Siloam Hospital, Kericho Kenya
• Nicole Spieker, Director of Quality, Pharmaccess Group
• Abiy Dawit, Senior Expert, Health care & Hospital Administration, Health Services Quality Directorate, FMOH Ethiopia
Last but not least, I want to thank all our sponsors: Linet, Sakhiwo Health Solutions, Philips, Hutz Medical, SAP Africa, Fanem, Quintiles IMS, Biolitec, AirSep, Elsmed, Medical Credit Fund, UHG Universal Hospital Group, Novair Oxyplus and Ge Healthcare for their contributions; East Africa Healthcare Federation, Africa Healthcare Federation, West Africa Healthcare Federation, Ethiopia Private Health Facilities Employers Association and Arsho Medical Laboratories for their support in realizing this event.
Again, thank you for your valuable participation, I have no doubt that your presence and involvement directly contributed to the overall success of this meaningful event. We will keep you abreast of our upcoming industry events and I am earnestly looking forward to meeting with you again.
Lieve Noppen | COO | Noppen Group